JEFFERSON — A 31-year-old Cambridge man accused of sexually assaulting a nine-year-old girl appeared in Jefferson County Circuit Court Friday.
Jeffrey J. Schneider, who is charged with one count of first-degree sexual assault of a child under 13, faces a maximum sentence of 60 years’ imprisonment, if convicted.
Schneider’s defense attorney, Karl Huebner, requested a 60-day extension of the case from Jefferson County Circuit Court Judge Robert Dehring, which was granted.
Huebner said Schneider had been receiving counseling services from Jefferson County at the time of his arrest, but they had stopped because a condition of his bond was that he remain in his home.
The counseling recently had started again, according to Huebner, and a more complete assessment of Schneider would be needed before the case proceeds.
“Hopefully, we can get some input from professionals,” Huebner said, “so we can get a better assessment of where we need to go.”
Schneider is accused of touching a 9-year-old child’s genitals while she was sleeping in mid-October. Schneider told police in November that he’d been having “sexualized” thoughts about the child, according to the criminal complaint.
The morning after the incident, the girl reportedly told her mother what had occurred.
That same day, the girl’s parents confronted Schneider — who told them he had touched the girl in an inappropriate way, according to the complaint.
After the November interview with police, Schneider was placed under arrest. He made his initial appearance in Jefferson County Circuit Court on Nov. 15 and was released from custody on a $1,000 cash bond.
Conditions of Schneider’s bond include having no contact with the victim; no presence at the victim’s residence, including any temporary residence; no presence at the victim’s school; no physical contact with any person under the age of 18; GPS monitoring with home-confinement; and the requirement that he remain within Jefferson County.
Schneider next is scheduled to appear in court for a status conference March 31 at 9:30 a.m. Huebner and Assistant District Attorney Theresa Beck agreed in court Friday that if a resolution is not close at that March hearing, the case should be set for a jury trial.