JEFFERSON — The School District of Jefferson Board of Education is expected to approve the replacement of an aging gymnasium rooftop unit and chiller at West Elementary School when it meets Wednesday evening, May 22.
In addition, recent and upcoming summer buildings and grounds projects are among the topics up for discussion Wednesday during the board’s regular meeting, which was rescheduled from May 13.
Both the existing rooftop unit and the chiller at West are in “terrible disrepair,” said Superintendent Mark Rollefson, noting that they should be replaced before the next school year.
The school board will eye bids for each of those items from three different companies on Wednesday night, Rollefson said, and administration is recommending the district go with the low bid on both projects, which in both cases came from Technique Mechanical.
Technique Mechanical’s bids of $108,000 for the chiller and $54,000 for the rooftop unit came in significantly below the other two bids the district received, from NAMI and MCI. The project will come out of next year’s budget, but the parts must be ordered now, as it will take awhile to spec the process out, Rollefson said.
The new rooftop unit and chiller will be installed over the course of the next several months and will be ready in time for the heating season next fall.
Buildings and grounds director Tim Graffin will oversee the installation project.
Other upcoming buildings and grounds projects, most of them to take place this summer, include the following:
• From June 10-June 24, Sullivan Elementary School is scheduled to have its gym stripped and and repainted.
• From June 10-July 8, Sullivan classroom and library painting will take place, with workers starting with the bathrooms until classrooms are cleared.
• From June 17-28, Sullivan Elementary School will undergo a window-replacement project, with Jefferson Glass providing the new windows.
• On a date yet to be determined, the Sullivan Elementary door replacement will take place. The doors have been ordered and the district currently is waiting on shipment confirmation.
• From June 17-21, the Sullivan Elementary staff parking lot removal and resurfacing is slated to take place, if weather allows.
• June 10-14, Jefferson Middle School’s north parking lot is slated for removal and resurfacing, also weather permitting.
• From June 17-21, the middle school will see its floor/ceiling corridor grid tear out and new grid installed.
• From June 24-28, new LED lighting and mechanicals will be installed.
• From July 1-9, new ceiling tile is slated to be installed at the middle school by Central Ceiling.
• From June 24-28, the middle school library will get a new carpet.
• From June 17-21, work will begin on laying down the new Pope Path outdoor walking track at West Elementary School, weather permitting.
• From June 10-18, new playground equipment which has already been purchased will be installed at both West and East elementary schools. Again, this will be dependent on the weather. The work is slated to be done by Miller and Associates.
• From June 25-July 12, the Jefferson High School track is slated to be resurfaced, dependent on weather.
• From June 25-July 8, the district is looking at filling cracks in the high school tennis court, also weather permitting.
Projects which recently have been completed in the district include the following:
• The district replaced its Kubota 3990 Ford.
• Fire alarms were tested districtwide.
• East Elementary School’s roof repair project was completed.
• Heating, ventilation and air conditioning repairs were completed district-wide.
• East Elementary School received new restroom partitions on the second floor.
• The high school boys and girls varsity locker rooms received new ceiling tiles.
• In terms of custodial staffing, the district hired some new personnel and conducted training for custodial staff on proper floor care.
• The district’s fleet of vehicles received general maintenance.
• In terms of energy/utilities, new, more efficient LED lighting was installed at East Elementary School.
Other current projects include the installation of a new work order system, progress on Phase 2 of the Safety Grant, ongoing work on the new agriculture welding fume/exhaust system; the installation of a new, highly efficient pool dolphin at the high school; and progress on the middle school, West, East and Sullivan fire alarm systems.